R W Armstrong is a family company with over 60 years' heritage. Our reputation is outstanding, as are our people.
We are a leading employer in the local area and offer training and development opportunities to our employees, so there are no limits to fulfilling your potential. We are a close-knit team and you can expect a challenging, rewarding career with us.
To contact us about a vacancy, or to send a speculative application, please contact our Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Covid-19 Update: Due to the ongoing pandemic, our annual apprentice recruitment programme is on hold. As a result, we will not be recruiting any apprentices this September
Site Manager – Principal Projects, Basingstoke
CLOSING DATE: 5TH FEBRUARY 2021
To apply, click here
R W Armstrong is a family business with over 60 years’ experience working on some of the finest properties in the South of England. As part of our Basingstoke Principal Projects Division, you will be joining a highly experienced team to complete large scale projects of high value and complexity. From new builds to period refurbishments of up to £10m in value, no two of our projects are the same and you will be given the opportunity for continual challenge and growth. Your role will be split between our Basingstoke head office and site, as required by the project team.
To work as part of a team, under the direction of the Contracts Manager (CM), to deliver projects to the highest standard and to contribute to the overall success of the customer experience and of customer satisfaction. To reflect the company ethos in the management of employees and in the undertaking of all professional duties.
ROLE SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- To understand more complex project and planning information and use strategies to manage this information.
- To demonstrate the ability to plan over a longer period and to take into account more interdependent variables in this planning.
- To demonstrate time management strategies to deal with the range and complexity of tasks – managerial, administrative and technical input.
- To develop strategies to manage the quality of workmanship of both direct employees and subcontractors especially where responsibility for quality has been delegated to an Assistant Site Manager.
PLANNING & PROGRAMMING
- To plan and coordinate daily and weekly activities in excess of 4 weeks in advance, including resources and labour in line with project information and the construction programme.
- To produce a programme to support your plan based on the CM’s project programme using programming software to compile this and as a tool to show progress, record delays and variations.
- To plan for more numerous, complex tasks in an integrated manner that illustrates how they are interlinked and interdependent.
- Where appropriate consult with Subcontractors to gather their specialist input into the programme.
- To ensure that all planning and programming is shared with the relevant team members, including the Assistant Site Manager and/or Subcontractor Supervisors, and is monitored and reviewed.
- To contribute proactively to weekly team planning meetings and to maintain excellent levels of communication with the client and their representatives.
- To manage your team in line with HR (Human Resources) policies and the Company values.
- To be wholly responsible for all activities on site related to the project requiring little guidance from the Contracts Manager and able to demonstrate initiative and self- reliance.
- To manage your time effectively to deal with the increased amount, and complexity of, project documentation and the need to manage subcontractor supervisors, inspect the quality of work and attend professional meetings.
- To manage and maintain the site to a high standard and to ensure that team members, including subcontractors, conduct themselves appropriately at all times.
COMMERCIAL AWARENESS AND UNDERSTANDING
- To plan and manage the project with consideration to financial efficiencies with regard to the sequencing of activities and the use of labour and plant.
- To demonstrate an understanding of the impact of longer lead in times for materials and resources and ensure that this is reflected in any planning.
- To accurately complete all administration supporting financial tracking and be able to deliver this information at formal meetings.
- To ensure that expectations of workmanship are explained clearly to the team including the use of examples of good practice where appropriate.
- To ensure strategies are used to monitor the quality of work and to maintain high standards including regular site inspections of work in progress.
- To follow all company processes regarding sign off and completion of works.
- To deploy effective strategies to address issues regarding work that doesn’t meet expectations including gathering documentation to support this assessment and to ensure standards are met.
- To manage your Assistant in effectively carrying out if this function is delegated.
SHE (Safety, Health and Environment)
- To be aware of all relevant SHE legislation with regards to statutory compliance.
- To understand complex project information to help identify risk and manage potential hazards using company procedures.
- To establish a site safety culture and maintain compliance.
- To ensure that all documentation related to SHE is completed regularly, kept up to date and filed securely.
ADMINISTRATION & DOCUMENT CONTROL
- To develop effective strategies for producing, updating, collating and storing all relevant project information in line with company policy, procedure and legislation.
- To demonstrate effective communication using email and more formal documentation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & BEHAVIOURS
- A Trade Apprenticeship.
- Site Managers Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) Certificate.
- First Aid Certificate.
- Basic contractual knowledge.
- Awareness of standard pre-construction processes and relevant SHE regulations.
- Comprehensive technical and construction knowledge.
- Competent Intermediate programming software.
- Higher Education Qualification (desirable).
- Membership of a professional body – Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) (desirable).
- Highly self-motivated, proactive and able to use initiative.
- Able to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Proven managerial skills including effective delegation.
- Effective communicator increasingly using more formal and professional formats.
- Committed to delivering a high-quality service.
- Flexible thinker – effective problem solver.
- Trade experience (desirable).
- Previous Site Manager experience on projects of a value of between £2 to £4 million or comparable complexity.
CLOSING DATE: 31ST JANUARY 2021
To apply, click here
R W Armstrong is a family business with over 60 years’ experience working on some of the finest properties in the South of England. As part of our Basingstoke Large Projects Division, you will be joining a highly experienced team to complete large scale projects of high value and complexity. You will be based predominantly on site, with a typical project duration of 1-3 years. From new builds to period refurbishments upwards of £10m in value, no two of our projects are the same and you will be given the opportunity for continual challenge and growth.
To assist the members of the commercial department in managing all costs relating to building projects, saving money where applicable but still maintaining quality of work.
- Manage handover from estimator of financial information
- Agree package composition with CM
- Set buying targets for each package
- Agree which packages are to be re-bid
- Send out tender documentation
- Conduct commercial negotiations with packages not to be re-bid
- Attend post tender interviews & lead financial sections
- Attend pre-order meeting & manage financial section
- Produce initial CVR / buying report for each package
- Prepare order documentation for each package
- Carry out financial checks on sub-contractors (in conjunction with Accounts Director)
- Agree detailed T&C’s back to back with main contract highlight deviations to the CM
- Agree preliminaries set-up / spend with the CM
- Prepare & maintain Cash Flow forecast
- Prepare maintain & present CVR
- Prepare for the CM the financial section of the progress report
- Report to the CM in the cash position of the job
- Maintain control / monitor materials & sundries purchased from site
- Negotiate rates, terms & place orders for major materials packages
- Sign off invoices for all site purchased materials
- Prepare & publish payment schedule
- Prepare & agree monthly valuations with PQS
- Prepare & agree monthly valuations with Subs
- Sign off invoices for payment
- Ensure subcontract applications are dealt with in the required timescale (avoid payment notices)
- Maintain VO schedule
- Ensure prompt agreement of all VO’s upstream and downstream
- Highlight program risk of VO’s to CM
- Check & Monitor insurance & renewal
- Ensure timely procurement of all warranties
- HNC in Construction or relevant Degree level qualification
- Detailed knowledge private residential building contracting
- Awareness of property taxation matters and contractual law
- Have a good understanding of traditional building methods and products associated with the refurbishment of listed buildings and up-market period houses
- Have a good working knowledge MS Office – Intermediate level of Excel
- To be able to write clear and precise communications which might include detailed and complex figures, calculations and specific building information
- Strong numeracy and financial management skills and the ability to learn construction management IT packages
EXPERIENCE & BEHAVIOURS
- Act in a manner befitting the status and responsibility of an Senior Surveyor and of the image of the company
- A practical, logical and methodical approach to thinking and problem solving
- Be confident in dealing directly with Architects, Quantity Surveyors, Clients and Subcontractors
CONTRACTUAL HOURS: Monday – Thursday 07:30-17:30 and Friday 07:30-16:00
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS: Car Allowance; Private Health Insurance
Group Business Administration Manager
CLOSING DATE: 15th January 2021
To apply, click here
R W Armstrong is a family business with over 60 years’ experience working on some of the finest properties in the South of England. Our well-connected head office is easily accessible from Basingstoke, situated in the charming village of Sherborne St John, only a stone’s throw from the town centre and plentiful nearby amenities. Our modern office is home to our busy Group Business Support team, who benefit from free secure car parking and bright, comfortable workspaces. You will form part of a close-knit team supporting our offices and sites across all divisions in the business.
Maintaining strong teams is another important aspect of life at RWA with social and sporting events held throughout the year. As a local employer, we also provide support to several local charities and sports teams.
To work closely with the Group Finance Director and the SLT to ensure that all relevant aspects of compliance administration are understood by individual managers, are actioned and monitored across the Group. To provide consistency in the delivery of administration support and to play a strategic role in improving the delivery of this provision both in office and site settings.
Working closely with the Company’s Finance Director and the Senior Leadership Team they will provide compliance administration and project management support through monitoring, reviewing and carrying out contractual checks relating to new projects; ensuring compliance with all company procedures and documented policies; developing good practice; advising on regulatory change and improving current processes.
- Prepare and update new project start checks, working through the checklist of contractual requirements, ensuring that all questions are answered for each new project and specifically ensuring insurance clauses are included and are fit for purpose
- Design and maintain the Company filing structure, ensuring that accurate and up to date information is maintained. Also ensure that the Company adopts good practice with document control as well as ensuring both manual and electronic systems comply with the GDPR
- Undertaking regular checks of Commercial terms and conditions checking both tax and compliance issues
- Ensure the Company’s compliance against relevant codes of practice, legislative and statutory requirements
- Responsible for dealing with all Commercial insurance queries including regular checking and review of licences and insurances
- Undertake internal compliance audits as request by the Finance Director
- Collate and maintain evidence for Audits
- Act as the Company’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Data Protection Officer
- Manage the Company’s document lifecycle; setting clear guidance on retention and destroying of records to ensure GDPR, project, quality and SHE compliance.
- Work professionally at all times and handle confidential information with sensitivity.
- Responsibility for the core administration team in Basingstoke including recruitment, induction and the management of the probationary period for new administration staff.
- Responsibility for the performance management of this team and for providing monitoring and feedback on the performance of those administration roles directly managed by other department/divisional managers
- Responsibility for setting standards and expectations for the administration team in line with the needs of the business
- Ensure that the training needs of the administration team are identified and that these needs are met in a cost effective and sustainable manner
- Liaise with members of the SLT and other managers to ensure that the work flow of the administration team is managed to ensure an effective and efficient support service is provided
- Provide strategic input to processes and procedures performed by the administration team and monitoring the impact of any changes
- Implement measures to ensure that absences due to holiday or sickness are adequately covered by the wider team
- Responsibility for implementing new compliance and administrative processes and procedures across the Business and for liaising with key administration leads in other divisions to ensure consistency
- Manage annual Company renewals including Considerate Constructors Scheme, CHAS etc
- Regularly monitor facilities provision and organising the general maintenance and repairs to Armstrong House as and when required.
- Undertake regular site visits to other company offices and the Joinery Workshops to ensure general compliance with Health, Safety and Maintenance procedures and legislation.
- Procure services in a cost- effective manner and monitoring provision
- Organise with the Receptionist and Office Co-ordinator PAT testing of all electrical equipment.
- Ensure best value in the delivery of external repairs to the building or the yard in conjunction with the Receptionist and Office Co-ordinator
- Co-ordinate the service and repairs of the air conditioning units, printers/copiers and boilers.
- Manage the cleaning team
Knowledge, skills and behaviour
- Management experience
- Excellent understanding of compliance law and GDPR
- Experience of implementing office systems, processes and procedures
- Excellent IT skills including Excel and database software
- Effective communicator
- Able to work collaboratively
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Able to work using their own initiative and be proactive in their approach
- Experience within the construction industry would be useful
NO AGENCIES PLEASE