R W Armstrong & Sons Ltd is a family run building contractor with over 60 years of heritage. We work on high end residential properties, using our specialist knowledge of traditional building methods and quality craftsmanship. Our local reputation is outstanding, as are our people with over 190 employees.
Our company is one of the leading employers in the local area, and many of our longest serving employees have followed their relatives into the company. We have a policy of offering training and progression to all of our staff; there are no limits to your potential here. We are a close-knit team and you can expect a challenging, rewarding career with us.
Any general enquiries on employment with R W Armstrong should be directed to Human Resources at email@example.com
Assistant Wood Machinist is responsible for assisting the current Wood Machinist, to select relevant materials ready for machining.
An Assistant Wood Machinist should be hardworking and eager to learn which will help them to develop into a full Wood machinist.
The overall expectation is an Assistant Wood machinist should always endeavour to work at the very highest standards of workmanship and show a good ability to work on cutting list without supervision.
- Take cutting sheets for Joinery team and work through choosing the best materials to suit projects,
- Keep checks on materials stock and report if low
- To take responsibility of yourself and others in the workplace, with the interests of Health & Safety,
- Working in accordance with SHE compliant procedures and processes
- Maintain records, document actions and present written progress reports
- To attend any training when required
- To demonstrate an ability to work hard and a wiliness to learn
- To assist wood machinist in Keeping the machines clean and well maintained
- To clean the machine shop daily (record sheets need to be filled out for this task)
- To work additional time as can be reasonably required and provide additional cover as operation Manager requests
- To adhere to working hours guidelines as defined by contract of employment, custom and practice of the organisation and in accordance with UK employment law
- To complete time sheets and have signed off by your Line Manager
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & BEHAVIOURS
- Demonstrate a level-headed and mature approach to using equipment.
- The person must be able to listen, take instruction and show a willingness to learn.
- Must have good mathematical skills and be practically minded
- Be polite and of tidy appearance
- To be honest, reliable and flexible
- Assist with selecting, handling, cutting, shaping and moulding a variety of wood to produce staircases, windows, doors and all bespoke joinery.
- Measure and mark cutting lines on materials, using ruler, pencil, chalk and marking gauge
- Basic machining
- Drive forklift truck (training will be given if required)
- In house training will be given
- Training offsite at a national training provider will be provided to the right candidate
- Training on forklift truck
Measured by / key results
- Timely delivery
- Personal impact
It is the Company’s intention that this role profile is seen as a guide to the main areas and duties for which the job holder is accountable. However, the business will change, and the job holder’s obligations are bound to vary and develop, so the role profile should be seen as a guide and not as a permanent, definitive and exhaustive statement. This role profile is non-contractual.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Under the direction of the Contracts Manager, you will be wholly responsible for all activities on site and be committed to delivering projects to the highest standard, contributing to the overall success of the customer experience and satisfaction.
ROLE SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- To understand more complex project and planning information and use strategies to manage this information.
- To demonstrate the ability to plan over a longer period and to take into account more interdependent variables in this planning.
- To demonstrate time management strategies to deal with the range and complexity of tasks – managerial, administrative and technical input.
- To develop strategies to manage the quality of workmanship of both direct employees and subcontractors especially where responsibility for quality has been delegated to an Assistant Site Manager.
PLANNING & PROGRAMMING
- To plan and coordinate daily and weekly activities in excess of 4 weeks in advance, including resources and labour in line with project information and the construction programme.
- To produce a programme to support your plan based on the CM’s project programme using programming software to compile this and as a tool to show progress, record delays and variations.
- To plan for more numerous, complex tasks in an integrated manner that illustrates how they are interlinked and interdependent.
- Where appropriate consult with Subcontractors to gather their specialist input into the programme.
- To ensure that all planning and programming is shared with the relevant team members, including the Assistant Site Manager and/or Subcontractor Supervisors, and is monitored and reviewed.
- To contribute proactively to weekly team planning meetings and to maintain excellent levels of communication with the client and their representatives.
- To manage your team in line with HR (Human Resources) policies and the Company values.
- To be wholly responsible for all activities on site related to the project requiring little guidance from the Contracts Manager and able to demonstrate initiative and self- reliance.
- To manage your time effectively to deal with the increased amount, and complexity of, project documentation and the need to manage subcontractor supervisors, inspect the quality of work and attend professional meetings.
- To manage and maintain the site to a high standard and to ensure that team members, including subcontractors, conduct themselves appropriately at all times.
COMMERCIAL AWARENESS AND UNDERSTANDING
- To plan and manage the project with consideration to financial efficiencies with regard to the sequencing of activities and the use of labour and plant.
- To demonstrate an understanding of the impact of longer lead in times for materials and resources and ensure that this is reflected in any planning.
- To accurately complete all administration supporting financial tracking and be able to deliver this information at formal meetings.
- To ensure that expectations of workmanship are explained clearly to the team including the use of examples of good practice where appropriate.
- To ensure strategies are used to monitor the quality of work and to maintain high standards including regular site inspections of work in progress.
- To follow all company processes regarding sign off and completion of works.
- To deploy effective strategies to address issues regarding work that doesn’t meet expectations including gathering documentation to support this assessment and to ensure standards are met.
- To manage your Assistant in effectively carrying out if this function is delegated.
SHE (Safety, Health and Environment)
- To be aware of all relevant SHE legislation with regards to statutory compliance.
- To understand complex project information to help identify risk and manage potential hazards using company procedures.
- To establish a site safety culture and maintain compliance.
- To ensure that all documentation related to SHE is completed regularly, kept up to date and filed securely.
ADMINISTRATION & DOCUMENT CONTROL
- To develop effective strategies for producing, updating, collating and storing all relevant project information in line with company policy, procedure and legislation.
- To demonstrate effective communication using email and more formal documentation.
- Undergone a Trade Apprenticeship (desirable)
- Site Managers Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) Certificate (essential)
- First Aid Certificate (desirable – training will be provided)
- Fire Marshal Certificate (desirable – training will be provided)
- Scaffold Safety Inspection Certificate (desirable – training will be provided)
- Mobile Scaffold Tower Certificate (desirable – training will be provided)
- Basic contractual knowledge.
- Awareness of standard pre-construction processes and relevant SHE regulations.
- Comprehensive technical and construction knowledge.
- Competent Intermediate programming software.
- Higher Education Qualification (desirable).
- Highly self-motivated, proactive and able to use initiative.
- Able to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Proven managerial skills including effective delegation.
- Effective communicator increasingly using more formal and professional formats.
- Committed to delivering a high-quality service.
- Flexible thinker – effective problem solver.
- 7 – 10 years trade experience (desirable).
- Previous Site Manager experience on projects of a value of between £2 to £4 million or comparable complexity.
- Competitive salary
- 22 days holiday
- Private Medical Insurance
- Company sick benefit
- Rewards/voucher platform
HOW TO APPLY
Interested? We’d love to hear from you. Please send your covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch within 72 hours to confirm receipt of your application.
WHEN TO APPLY
The closing date for this role is Friday 22nd October 2019.