R W Armstrong is a family company with over 60 years' heritage. Our reputation is outstanding, as are our people.
We are a leading employer in the local area and offer training and development opportunities to our employees, so there are no limits to fulfilling your potential. We are a close-knit team and you can expect a challenging, rewarding career with us.
To contact us about a vacancy, or to send a speculative application, please contact our Human Resources team at email@example.com.
Covid-19 Update: Due to the ongoing pandemic, our annual apprentice recruitment programme is on hold. As a result, we will not be recruiting any apprentices this September
Site Manager – Basingstoke (1 Year Fixed Term Contract)
CLOSING DATE: 23rd APRIL 2021
To apply, click here
R W Armstrong is a family business with over 60 years’ experience working on some of the finest properties in the South of England. As part of our Basingstoke Principal Projects Division, you will be joining a highly experienced team to complete large scale projects of high value and complexity. From new builds to period refurbishments of up to £10m in value, no two of our projects are the same and you will be given the opportunity for continual challenge and growth.
To work as part of a team, under the direction of the Contracts Manager (CM), to deliver projects to the highest standard and to contribute to the overall success of the customer experience and of customer satisfaction. To reflect the company ethos in the management of employees and in the undertaking of all professional duties.
ROLE SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- To understand more complex project and planning information.
- To demonstrate the ability to plan over a longer period and to take into account more interdependent variables in this planning.
- To demonstrate time management strategies to deal with the range and complexity of tasks – managerial, administrative and technical input.
- To develop strategies to manage the quality of workmanship of both direct employees and subcontractors.
PLANNING & PROGRAMMING
- To plan and coordinate daily and weekly activities for up to 3 to 4 weeks in advance, including resources and labour in line with project information and the construction programme. Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of longer lead in times for materials and resources and ensure that this is reflected in any planning.
- To produce a programme to support your plan based on the CM’s project programme using basic programming software to compile this and as a tool to show progress, record delays and variations.
- To plan for more numerous, complex tasks in an integrated manner that illustrates how they are interlinked and interdependent.
- To ensure that all planning and programming is shared with the relevant team members, including subcontractors, and is monitored and reviewed.
- Where appropriate consult with subcontractors to gather their specialist input into the programme.
- To contribute proactively to weekly team planning meetings and to maintain excellent levels of communication with the client and their representatives.
- To manage your team in line with HR (Human Resources) policies and the Company values.
- To manage all activities on site related to the project with some guidance from the Contracts Manager, but increasingly able to demonstrate initiative and self- reliance.
- To manage your time effectively so as to balance the increased administrative and managerial aspects of the role together with any ongoing practical demands.
- To manage the site with the minimum of disruption to the client and to ensure that team members, including subcontractors, conduct themselves appropriately at all times.
COMMERCIAL AWARENESS AND UNDERSTANDING
- To plan and manage the project with consideration to financial efficiencies with regard to the sequencing of activities and the use of labour and plant.
- To accurately complete all administration supporting financial tracking and be able to deliver this information at formal meetings.
- To ensure that expectations of workmanship are explained clearly to the team including the use of examples of good practice where appropriate.
- To ensure strategies are used to monitor quality and to maintain high standards including regular site inspections of work in progress.
- To follow all company processes regarding sign off and completion of works.
- To deploy effective strategies to address issues regarding work that doesn’t meet expectations including gathering documentation to support this assessment and to ensure standards are met.
SHE (Safety, Health and Environment)
- To be aware of all relevant SHE legislation with regards to statutory compliance.
- To understand project information to help identify risk and manage potential hazards using company procedures.
- To establish a site safety culture.
- To ensure that all documentation related to SHE is completed regularly, kept up to date and filed securely.
ADMINISTRATION & DOCUMENT CONTROL
- To develop effective strategies for producing, updating, collating and storing all relevant project information in line with company policy, procedure and legislation.
- To demonstrate effective communication using email and more formal documentation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & BEHAVIOURS
- A Trade Apprenticeship.
- Site Managers Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS) Certificate.
- First Aid Certificate.
- Basic contractual knowledge.
- Intermediate programming software.
- Awareness of standard pre-construction processes and relevant SHE regulations.
- Self-motivated and able to use initiative.
- Able to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Effective time management.
- Good problem-solving capabilities.
- Clear communicator.
- Previous trade experience (desirable).
- Previous managerial experience on projects of a value up to approximately £2million or of similar complexity.
WORKING HOURS: Monday – Thursday 07:30 – 17:00 and Friday 07:30 – 16:00
BENEFITS: 22 days holiday plus bank holidays, 5 days sick benefit, workplace pension, car allowance.
CLOSING DATE: Friday 2nd April 2021
To apply, click here
R W Armstrong is a family business with over 60 years’ experience working on some of the finest properties in the South of England. As part of our Basingstoke Principal Projects Division, you will be joining a highly experienced team to complete large-scale projects of high value and complexity. From new builds to period refurbishments of up to £10m in value, no two of our projects are the same and you will be given the opportunity for continual challenge and growth. Your role will be split between our Basingstoke head office and site, as required by the project team.
To assist the members of the commercial department in managing all costs relating to building projects, saving money where applicable but still maintaining quality of work.
- Have a good understanding of traditional building methods and products associated with the refurbishment of listed buildings and up-market period houses.
- Be confident in dealing directly with Architects, Quantity Surveyors, Clients and Subcontractors.
- Manage multiple projects
- Be able to keep a tight control on potentially high numbers of variations on a large number of on-going projects, assisting site managers and contracts managers in recording all variations, pricing them and accurately recording their effect on final accounts and ensure that AI’s are received for all variations
- Pay regular visits to site, as well as liaising directly with Contracts Managers and Site Managers to ensure that all variations are recorded on CVIs and copied to all interested parties
- Responsibility for ensuring that VAT assessments/calculations are correct.
- Manage handover from estimator of financial information
- Agree package composition with CM
- Set buying targets for each package
- Agree which packages are to be re-bid
- Send out tender documentation
- Conduct commercial negotiations with packages not to be re-bid
- Attend post tender interviews & lead financial sections
- Attend pre-order meeting & manage financial section
- Produce initial CVR / buying report for each package
- Prepare order documentation for each package
- Carry out financial checks on sub-contractors (in conjunction with Accounts Director)
- Agree detailed T&C’s back to back with main contract highlight deviations to the CM
- Agree preliminaries set-up / spend with the CM
- Prepare & maintain Cash Flow forecast
- Prepare maintain & present CVR
- Prepare for the CM the financial section of the progress report
- Report to the CM in the cash position of the job
- Ensure that cost reports to PQS/Clients are up to date
- Communicate also on all matters affecting the performance of projects, employees, associates, and the commercial interests of the company.
- Maintain control / monitor materials & sundries purchased from site
- Negotiate rates, terms & place orders for major materials packages
- Sign off invoices for all site purchased materials
- Prepare & publish payment schedule
- Prepare & agree monthly valuations with PQS
- Prepare & agree monthly valuations with Subs
- Sign off invoices for payment
- Ensure subcontract applications are dealt with in the required timescale (avoid payment notices)
- Ensure that no deposits are paid to third parties without equivalent sums first being paid to ourselves.
- Maintain VO schedule
- Ensure prompt agreement of all VO’s upstream and downstream
- Highlight program risk of VO’s to CM
- Check & Monitor insurance & renewal
- Ensure timely procurement of all warranties
- HNC in Construction or relevant Degree level qualification
- Detailed knowledge private residential building contracting.
- Awareness of property taxation matters and contractual law
- Have a good understanding of traditional building methods and products associated with the refurbishment of listed buildings and up-market period houses
- Have a good working knowledge MS Office – Intermediate level of Excel
- To be able to write clear and precise communications which might include detailed and complex figures, calculations and specific building information.
- Strong numeracy and financial management skills and the ability to learn construction management IT packages.
EXPERIENCE & BEHAVIOURS
- A practical, logical and methodical approach to thinking and problem solving
- Be confident in dealing directly with Architects, Quantity Surveyors, Clients and Subcontractors
43.5 hours per week, 07:30 – 17:30 Monday to Thursday and 07:30 – 16:00 Friday.
- Car allowance
- 23 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Private health insurance
- Workplace pension