R W Armstrong is a family company with over 60 years' heritage. Our reputation is outstanding, as are our people.
We are a leading employer in the local area and offer training and development opportunities to our employees, so there are no limits to fulfilling your potential. We are a close-knit team and you can expect a challenging, rewarding career with us.
To contact us about a vacancy, or to send a speculative application, please contact our Human Resources team at email@example.com.
Group Business Administration Manager
CLOSING DATE: 3rd December 2020
To apply, click here
R W Armstrong is a family business with over 60 years’ experience working on some of the finest properties in the South of England. Our well-connected head office is easily accessible from Basingstoke, situated in the charming village of Sherborne St John, only a stone’s throw from the town centre and plentiful nearby amenities. Our modern office is home to our busy Group Business Support team, who benefit from free secure car parking and bright, comfortable workspaces. You will form part of a close-knit team supporting our offices and sites across all divisions in the business.
Maintaining strong teams is another important aspect of life at RWA with social and sporting events held throughout the year. As a local employer, we also provide support to several local charities and sports teams.
To work closely with the Group Finance Director and the SLT to ensure that all relevant aspects of compliance administration are understood by individual managers, are actioned and monitored across the Group. To provide consistency in the delivery of administration support and to play a strategic role in improving the delivery of this provision both in office and site settings.
Working closely with the Company’s Finance Director and the Senior Leadership Team they will provide compliance administration and project management support through monitoring, reviewing and carrying out contractual checks relating to new projects; ensuring compliance with all company procedures and documented policies; developing good practice; advising on regulatory change and improving current processes.
- Prepare and update new project start checks, working through the checklist of contractual requirements, ensuring that all questions are answered for each new project and specifically ensuring insurance clauses are included and are fit for purpose
- Design and maintain the Company filing structure, ensuring that accurate and up to date information is maintained. Also ensure that the Company adopts good practice with document control as well as ensuring both manual and electronic systems comply with the GDPR
- Undertaking regular checks of Commercial terms and conditions checking both tax and compliance issues
- Ensure the Company’s compliance against relevant codes of practice, legislative and statutory requirements
- Responsible for dealing with all Commercial insurance queries including regular checking and review of licences and insurances
- Undertake internal compliance audits as request by the Finance Director
- Collate and maintain evidence for Audits
- Act as the Company’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Data Protection Officer
- Manage the Company’s document lifecycle; setting clear guidance on retention and destroying of records to ensure GDPR, project, quality and SHE compliance.
- Work professionally at all times and handle confidential information with sensitivity.
- Responsibility for the core administration team in Basingstoke including recruitment, induction and the management of the probationary period for new administration staff.
- Responsibility for the performance management of this team and for providing monitoring and feedback on the performance of those administration roles directly managed by other department/divisional managers
- Responsibility for setting standards and expectations for the administration team in line with the needs of the business
- Ensure that the training needs of the administration team are identified and that these needs are met in a cost effective and sustainable manner
- Liaise with members of the SLT and other managers to ensure that the work flow of the administration team is managed to ensure an effective and efficient support service is provided
- Provide strategic input to processes and procedures performed by the administration team and monitoring the impact of any changes
- Implement measures to ensure that absences due to holiday or sickness are adequately covered by the wider team
- Responsibility for implementing new compliance and administrative processes and procedures across the Business and for liaising with key administration leads in other divisions to ensure consistency
- Manage annual Company renewals including Considerate Constructors Scheme, CHAS etc
- Regularly monitor facilities provision and organising the general maintenance and repairs to Armstrong House as and when required.
- Undertake regular site visits to other company offices and the Joinery Workshops to ensure general compliance with Health, Safety and Maintenance procedures and legislation.
- Procure services in a cost- effective manner and monitoring provision
- Organise with the Receptionist and Office Co-ordinator PAT testing of all electrical equipment.
- Ensure best value in the delivery of external repairs to the building or the yard in conjunction with the Receptionist and Office Co-ordinator
- Co-ordinate the service and repairs of the air conditioning units, printers/copiers and boilers.
- Manage the cleaning team
Knowledge, skills and behaviour
- Management experience
- Excellent understanding of compliance law and GDPR
- Experience of implementing office systems, processes and procedures
- Excellent IT skills including Excel and database software
- Effective communicator
- Able to work collaboratively
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Able to work using their own initiative and be proactive in their approach
- Experience within the construction industry would be useful
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
CLOSING DATE: FRIDAY 27 NOVEMBER 2020
BASINGSTOKE PRINCIPAL PROJECTS
Our Basingstoke Principal Projects Division is a team of a highly experienced group of project managers and skilled tradesmen, completing large scale projects of high value and complexity. No two of our projects are the same and there is the opportunity for continual challenge and growth, working on some of the most prestigious properties in the South of England. Your role will be split between our Basingstoke head office and site, as required by the project team.
To assist Pre-Construction throughout the bid stage and, after handover, provide leadership and direction to multiple project teams. To be responsible for the successful completion of projects so that they are delivered within the contractual timescales and meet or exceed the anticipated profit margins. To work collaboratively with the General Manager and other key personnel to champion best practice and ensure that projects are delivered to the high standards expected. To work in the best interests of the Division and those of R W Armstrong & Sons Ltd, Directors, Stakeholders and subsidiary companies.
- To direct and coordinate all project activities, including overall responsibility for the performance of the assigned projects
- To manage multiple projects concurrently
- To set, review and implement project strategy
- To drive project strategy and progress by making necessary interventions
- Programming, using Project Commander software, to manage, review and update the following on an ongoing basis;
- Long and short term construction programmes
- Reporting, including base lining
- Delay analysis, including identification of cause and effect
- To provide contractual and internal reporting
- To create and manage documents eg IRS, CDP tracker
- To manage change
- To prepare a site logistics and project execution plan, including review and implementation
- To deliver design coordination and management where CDP is a requirement, such as subcontractor design, directly appointed design consultants, temporary works
- Programming, methodologies, logistics, scaffold schedules, etc
- Interviews and presentations
- To lead the pre start and post completion process
- To manage defects and post completion works
- To provide input to the Subcontract database
- To set and maintain quality and service standards
- To lead and manage team members to help them fulfill their roles, responsibilities and expectations
- To carry out appraisals, set objectives and provide mentoring or coaching to the team
- To be involved in team recruitment
- To manage the expectations of clients and the relationship with professional teams
- To manage the performance of subcontractors and trade operatives
- To manage any contact with the general public as a result of project work
- Meetings – running and chairing internal and external team meetings
- To set and maintain a culture of quality and high standards on sites
- To engage in external business development to build relationships that help to proactively promote our services
- Proactively work with Divisional Managers and Group support teams
- To understand the principals of commercial management
- To understand JCT contracts;
- To manage projects in accordance with the contractual terms and conditions
- To manage notifications, claims and disputes
- To work proactively with your commercial team members and oversee the following:
- The procurement processes and account management of
- Trade / subcontract packages
- Direct labour
- Goods, materials and plant
- The discharge of provisional sum and PC allowances
- Accurate and timely reporting
- The management of change
- Interim applications and final accounts
SHE (Safety, Health and Environment)
- To proactively manage all aspects of SHE on site as a primary responsibility
- To keep up to date with all legal obligations and good practice
- Accident, RIDDOR and near miss reporting
- To undertake regular, SHE audits of each project
- To set and maintain an effective SHE culture and ensure compliance with regulations
- To manage project CEMP and CPP in accordance with CDM regulations
- To liaise with external consultants and advisor
- To demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of compliance matters and to follow both internal and external compliance processes
- To use the agreed Company processes, procedures and systems
- To run effective meetings including chairing, taking minutes and implementing actions
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & BEHAVIOURS
- The management of projects with a value of between £2M and £6M
- The management of multiple projects running simultaneously
- Understanding and managing complex project information
- Managing projects whose complexity require multiple processes and programme revisions
Technical and construction knowledge
- A relevant construction qualification eg)NVQ in Construction Management
- Contemporary construction methods and detailing
- Traditional construction methods and detailing
- Conservation and listed buildings
- Basements and RC substructures
- Indoor swimming pool construction
Competency in the use of IT software packages including as a minimum
- Outlook, Word, Excel etc
- Use of document filing systems
- Project Commander
- PDF editing
We are recruiting for various Quantity Surveyor positions to join our Basingstoke Large Projects Division, working on complex and prestigious projects in the South East.
For further information or to apply, contact our HR team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joinery CAD Designer
CLOSING DATE: FRIDAY 27 NOVEMBER 2020
R W Armstrong is a family business with over 60 years’ experience working on some of the finest properties in the South of England. Our joinery division is one of our proudest assets, headed up by two master craftsmen with a combined experience of 70 years. The workshop is presently split between our head office in Sherborne St John and another facility in Dippenhall, Farnham. As a member of the joinery team, you will work amongst skilled craftspeople on a broad range of projects, supplying high-end residential projects across our divisions.
Our head office is easily accessible from Basingstoke, situated in the charming village of Sherborne St John, only a stone’s throw from the town centre and plentiful nearby amenities. Our joinery facilities benefit from free secure car parking.
The overall expectation of the role is producing drawings to the appropriate level of detailing (including specialist materials) for joinery construction. To interact and work collaboratively with clients, advisors, design professionals and internal project teams. The Designer will take the lead role in controlling drawings from concept through to construction, ensuring they are consistent, accurate, current, effectively communicated and meet the demands of the budget.
The successful candidate will be joining a well-established joinery team within a large high-end residential construction company and will play a key role in developing the drawing capabilities within the joinery division.
ROLE SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
- Practical joinery manufacturing knowledge of a minimum of 3 years, with a further 5 years CAD design experience
- To have a strong understanding of multiple joinery products,
- Door sets
- Expert in the use of Autodesk AutoCAD/Inventor
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft packages including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Strong written skills
- Excellent in personal time management with the ability to multitask
- Ability to work within budgets constraints
- To have a strong understanding of furniture and cabinetry construction and materials and strong attention to technical detail
- Strong aesthetic and technical design skills and awareness of ergonomics within a design.
- Ability to hand sketch to communicate initial design ideas
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of site surveys to ensure that cabinetry fits within the confines of the building,
- Have a natural ability of being able to work in a team and equally on your own when required
SITE SURVEYS AND RESEARCH
- Take a lead role in taking accurate site surveys, with due consideration to the finished designs and ensuring the design and construction of the product accommodates site limitations and logistics, installation or finishing of the products
- Being able to recognise at the first stage of design if the design will work in practice
- Ability to convert architectural drawings into manufacturing drawings for approval
- Ensure that drawings produced are cost efficient and within budget
- Consideration of the interface with inbuilt and loose fixtures and fittings, either supplied direct or indirect
- Incorporation of Mechanical, Engineering, Audio Visual, IT and control systems within the design
- Set and adhere CAD standards and branding, with consideration to the following:
- Page layouts and title formats
- Line weights
- Font styles
- Numbering system/variation control
- Regularized placement of drawings on paper space is achieved
- Correct use of layers
- Creation of shared standard blocks to be imported into drawings
- Allowing tolerances and fitting requirements for fixtures and fittings
- Accommodating mechanical, electrical AV and IT systems, including the sharing, communication and coordination of design and technical information with specialist supply chain
- Understanding of the Interface between joinery, building structure and product being supplied, including consideration to the fixing and fittings and attention to detail of these parts
- Take the lead role in liaising and communicating with clients and professionals to:
- Ascertain client brief
- Develop design concepts and obtain stage sign off
- Develop final design and obtain sign off
- Adapt own design styles to meet brief, utilising current and traditional trends and standards.
- Follow and replicate design styles set by client’s teams
- Coordinate detailed drawing for all projects considering all aspects of assembly, construction, and installation
- Through CPD keep up to date with both current trends and traditional standards in the general marketplace, and in relation to the interests of the Group
- Through research and CPD, be knowledgeable about current materials, products and manufacturing and use this knowledge to influence design and manufacture
- Procurement of specialist equipment prior to manufacture
- Excellent documentation and filing of drawings and correspondence
- Effective management of personal workspace and the wider design office to set high standards of organisation and efficiency
- Management of budgets
- Researching and liaising with specialist supply chain
- Manage enquiries and provision of technical information
- Manage samples and exemplars
- Obtain quotations and prepare comparisons
- Identify lead in times
- Prepare build programmes, integrating lead times etc
- Preparation and handover of design packages to manufacturing
- Preparation of time and material schedules
- Coordinating and liaising with supply chain on delivery and installation dates
- Preparing and providing O&M manuals